a.k.a. tracker ball

A pointing device consisting of a ball sitting in a socket that contains sensors to detect the rotation of the ball about its two axes. It looks like an upside-down mouse. To move a cursor, the user rolls the ball with his or her thumb or palm. Trackballs are common on CAD workstations, for ease of use, and on laptops, for use where there isn't enough surface area for a mouse. Some trackballs clip onto the side of a keyboard.

See also : nipple  rollerball  
NetLingo Classification: Net Hardware