Word of the Day
Word of the Day
Acronym of the Day
Jargon of the Day
Word of the Day Archive
Add Your Own Lingo
HTML Cheat Sheet
Acronyms for Parents
Popular Text Terms
Business Text Terms
NetLingo: The List
NetLingo: The Dictionary
NetLingo: PDF Guides
NetLingo: Online Store
Amazon's Best Selling Internet & Social Media Books
All Press Clippings
Television & Radio
Newspapers & Magazines
Web & Educational
Top 50 Newbie Terms Everyone Needs to Know
- The "at" sign or "@" symbol is now such an integral part of the Internet, it deserves...
- To log on to the Internet, where you can browse information, view Web sites, retrieve...
- Derived from the first letters of a phrase, acronyms are meant to make the phrase...
- Newbies take heed: If a tech support person or a computer manual directs you to "hit...
- A digital "actor" or icon that represents who you are and where you are in the virtual...
- A nickname that describes business-to-business relationships or applications. Many...
- One of the buttons at the top of a Web browser. By clicking on it, you "go back" to...
- A Web site or social media site where users can post a chronological, up-to-date e-journal...
- A direct link to an often visited site, saved in your browser for easy access. Bookmarks...
- A program used to view, download, upload, surf, or otherwise access documents (for...
- A mobile telephone that uses wireless technology, it is considered indispensable for...
chat or chatting
- A form of interactive online communication that enables users to have real-time conversations...
- A device that runs programs for displaying and manipulating text, graphics, symbols,...
- The state of being connected to the Internet or to another type of computer network,...
- A name for someone who is even newer than a newbie.
- To transfer a file or files from one computer to another, for example, from a server...
- Simply put, it means conducting business online, as in the buying and selling of products...
e-mail or email
- E-mail is mail that's electronically transmitted by your computer. As opposed to snail...
- The process of protecting information as it moves from one computer to another. Passing...
- A list of questions and answers related to a Web site, newsgroup, software, or any...
- The group of letters after a period or "dot" in a file name. The extension indicates...
- It means "playing a game." Gaming also refers to the gaming industry as a whole, which...
- A computer or communications gadget that you can carry around with you, such as a...
- The electronic components, boards, peripherals, and computer equipment that make up...
- A technology that gives users the ability to identify people online and to exchange...
- The most important technological innovation of our generation, the Internet is actually...
- A company that provides users access to the Internet. Before you can connect to the...
login or log in
- The act of connecting to or accessing a remote computer system, network, server, or...
- The code of conduct and unofficial rules that govern online interaction and behavior,...
- Someone who is new to the Internet or new to computers in general. "Newbie" is sort...
- A newsgroup is a forum for sharing information. Each one is an area on the Internet...
- There is controversy surrounding this word. Traditionally a noob, unlike a newbie...
- A company that provides customer-only content to subscribers of its service. For example,...
- In computer terms, a "peer" is an actual computer that exists on a network at the...
- A combination of letters and other symbols needed to login to a computer system or...
- An online scam in which the perpetrator sends out a large number of legitimate looking...
RTM or RTFM
- Proper netiquette on newsgroups calls for users not to post newbie questions that...
- The process of locating information on the Internet, whether it is to be found on...
- Chatters and people who post on Usenet will often tell others to stop shouting. It's...
- A short statement at the end of an e-mail message. It identifies the sender and provides...
- An adult, generally 50 years of age or older, who frequently surfs the Web and spends...
smiley or smileys
- :-) A smiley is a sequence of typed characters that creates a rough picture of something,...
- Regular postal mail, as in, "through rain, snow, sleet, or hail. . . ." The obvious...
- On a broad level, it is an online community of people who are socializing with each...
- A set of instructions that tells a computer how to execute functions and tasks. Software...
- A place you call when you have questions about computer hardware or software. The...
- The act of typing and sending a brief, electronic message (less than 160 characters)...
- Online it originally meant the act of posting a message in a newsgroup (and later...
- An acronym/term that describes the location and access method of a resource on the...
- A place on the World Wide Web that's comprised of files organized into a hierarchy....
Largest List of Chat Acronyms and Text Message Shorthand
NetLingo Top 50 Newbie Terms Everyone Needs to Know (PDF)
NetLingo Partner Links:
Best-Selling Internet & Social Media Books
© 1995-2014 NetLingo is a registered trademark ® All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part requires written permission.
Website hosting and development by
Lists of Top 50 Internet Terms - NetLingo The Internet Dictionary: Online Dictionary of Computer and Internet Terms, Acronyms, Text Messaging, Smileys ;-)
Top 50 Tech Terms that are now Common Expressions - NetLingo The Internet Dictionary: Online Dictionary of Computer and Internet Terms, Acronyms, Text Messaging, Smileys ;-)
The Top 50 Funniest Terms Used in the Online World - NetLingo The Internet Dictionary: Online Dictionary of Computer and Internet Terms, Acronyms, Text Messaging, Smileys ;-)
Top 50 PopularText & Chat Acronyms & IM Shorthand - NetLingo The Internet Dictionary: Online Dictionary of Computer and Internet Terms, Acronyms, Text Messaging, Smileys ;-)
The Top 50 Acronyms Every Parent Needs to Know - NetLingo The Internet Dictionary: Online Dictionary of Computer and Internet Terms, Acronyms, Text Messaging, Smileys ;-)
Website hosting and development by